“Everyone has a story to tell.”
Journeying through Digital Storytelling
Instructional Designer: Heidi Trotta
Faculty Member: Marian Glenn, Beth Bloom
Course: CORE 1101 – Journey of Transformation
Fall, 2008 & Fall, 2009
Students arrive at Seton Hall University and embark on a journey of transformation in the company of many others. CORE 1101 – Journey of Transformation, a required course for all freshmen, explores the narratives of others, their struggles, achievements, hopes and passions. A text-based course, the reliance is primarily upon reading, writing, films, and class discussion to achieve its goals. This project aims to empower students with the skills and mediums to articulate their own narratives to others through the use of digital storytelling, using video, audio and still images. In addition to providing students with new literacy skills, concepts of rhetoric and narrative style will be explored as student learn as much about themselves as we will in their comprehension of the concepts covered in the course. In this proposal, two faculty members teaching the course piloted the use of digital storytelling in their sections for the Fall of 2008. An assignment was created, resources and examples identified anda Blackboard module created that all CORE 1101 faculty could use in the future. An assessment was performed.
Examples of Student Work:
At the completion of this activity students will be able to:
- Explore the power of storytelling in our lives and as a teaching and learning tool
- List the elements of a well constructed story.
- Create a storyboard for production
- Research, identify and evaluate various media (visual, audio, text) to support a particular point of view or message
- Write a clear, concise, effective personal narrative that creatively conveys their ideas and knowledge in an individual and meaningful way.
- Use various technologies and applications to combine a variety of multimedia including text, still images, audio, video and web publishing to create a 3-5 minute personal digital-story
- Effectively evaluate a personal narrative through peer evaluation and self-reflection
- Adobe Premiere Elements